Saturday, March 22, 2008

Dogs I have known

This picture is Rikki and Nala, a Great Pyrenees mountain dog. Rikki likes to tease big dogs then run to some seated lady, and leaps into their lap, "home free".

My current dog is a rescued poodle from Santa Barbara's animal shelter. The story on Rikki is that he was a stud on a Milpas street puppy mill. He wasn't treated well, never groomed and living his life in a cage. So he taught himself to unlock and open his cage door, then off into the night. After several escapes 9and subsequent fines) He took some of his girlfriends with him. His second trip with the girls, the owners of the puppy mill said they would pay the fine for the girls but the shelter could keep Rikki. At this time I had been dog less for over a year and really needed my dog "fix". So here we have a 3 year old mostly white poodle stud. A quick trip to the vets fixed the stud part, and as far as I can tell, he never missed them.  His one flaw was a terrible separation anxiety. Living ones life on a puppy farm did keep you in company. He had been the Lothario of the breeding mill, then the platonic lover of the animal shelter. (on his resume it warned, he Frenches)  Poodles as a breed are very intelligent, this means that Rikki never completely relinquishes his authority to me. We have several arguments daily, he comes when called, when he wants to. He will at times stare at you, like are you insane? I'm busy! I'll come later, then while at a crowded dog park come running when I whistle.
He is a champion hunter, having caught 4 gophers at the park and 2 here at home. All in all Rikki is a splendid dog, a lover, not a fighter.

No comments: